Friday, January 29, 2010

Sonnet For A Friday Dusk

The cars go back and forth behind the fence.
A stream of traffic flows on past my yard
Unceasing. So it's gone and will go hence:
The white and then the red lights. It's not hard
To get annoyed at this and wonder why
So many people must go rushing past.
Just to and fro, and fro and to. The sky
Is deepening, dark blue, then black at last,
And out comes Venus, Mars and then the Moon
(At full, or nearly so), and still bright lights
In white, then red, zip by. I know that soon
The flow will slow somewhat; it does most nights.
But right now it's a rapid metronome,
The sights and sounds that tell me I'm at home.

1 comment:

  1. I really get the atmosphere of Kate in evening reverie here, with the traffic as metroname driving her sonnet's metre along!

    ReplyDelete

Again, sorry about the Captcha, but the spam comments are getting out of hand.

Followers